Monday, April 5, 2010

VBS at the school-Day Uno

Our first day at the school was our "test session" for the rest of the week. All of the students stepped up big time this morning and were ready to do whatever they needed to do to make it work.

The school is located about 3-4 blocks from the landfill...that i am convinced is one of the worst smelling, dirtiest places on earth. Buzzards are constantly swarming overhead and everything (outside of the school seems so chaotic).

The children that we were able to spend time with today are so beautiful especially when they smile! Their big brown eyes are screaming out for love and attention. Everyone that calls Lalewood Baptist home MUST come to Guatemala as soon as you can...it will rock your world! And I am writing this after only one full day.

Dr. Smiley was correct in saying that this place is complete abject poverty! I have never seen anything like it. Even the nicer buildings are some of the worst that I have ever seen. The people are filthy and seem to have no purpose...and they are everywhere! I am saying this not as a complaint or anything negative...just an observation.

The students and adults on our team have hugged and loved on so many people already. They are looking past the dirt and maybe even fears to share the love of God with the Guatemalans that we meet.

Day one is not even close to being finished right now but has already been overwhelmingly amazing! Parents, please pray for your children...that they would experience things this week that will leave them forever changed and wanting to serve our Lord even more!

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for taking the time to write such a descriptive blog. We will continue to pray for you all. The Quinn's

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Fear not for I am with you. Be not dismayed for I AM YOUR GOD. I will strengthen you. I will help you. I will uphold YOU...with my righteous right hand." -Isaiah 41:10

    ReplyDelete