Wednesday, July 10, 2013

First Timer

Filth . . . That is the only adequate word for what we've seen. As a first-timer here in Guatemala, I've been blown away by the conditions these people live in. Mounds of trash twice my height, a stench that is sometimes beyond my ability to stomach, and dirt. Everywhere. 

I've been on numerous mission trips, and I've seen extreme poverty, but I've never seen such living conditions. And I complain when our garbage can at home isn't emptied on time. Perspective? Mine is being changed.

Today started off at the school. It was my privilege to work alongside some awesome team members as we served the six-year olds. I was transformed into a human jungle gym, but I didn't mind one bit. Their sweet smiles and attempts at calling for me ("Eriiiiiiiiiin!") made it worth it. 

I felt as though I stumbled through the story of the Good Samaritan, not making much sense, until one child spoke up. We had discussed the way our heavenly Father is always there to help us when we've been wounded, and how we should behave as He does by doing the same for others. A sweet little hand shot into the air. "We should be generous," he said. Generous . . . Here he is with NOTHING,by American standards, but in the eyes of heaven, he's got it all. A heart of gold, a love for his peers, and a Savior who loves him beyond comprehension. Perhaps I should reevaluate the generosity of my own heart . . .

The afternoon was spent doing VBS in the landfill. It was a semi-chaotic compilation of Red Light/Green Light, the beautiful story of Christ Jesus (aptly illustrated with puppets), snacks, and coloring sheets galore. Children, some who already knew and some who didn't, heard about the Man who'd loved them enough to die for them. Mothers and grandmothers who'd tagged along heard about the Man who will never leave them or forsake them, even when other men in their lives had. It was such a sweet time. I left physically dirty from the unwashed hands that had hugged me, touched me, tugged at me, and the precious unclean faces that had pressed their cheeks to mine. But my heart was full, my Jesus was near, and I had been reminded, once again, of the universality of the gospel. 

Tonight we worshipped with Pastor Saul and his congregation. Joe Joe brought a compelling and comforting message that, quite frankly, convicted me deeply. Wayne, Whitney, Josh, and a band from the church led us in musical worship. To someone who doesn't know Jesus, it may have sounded like a mess when we all joined in singing together. A chorus so familiar to us being sung, all at once, in Spanish and English. It was somewhat indistinguishable, but I sang, thinking that this must be what heaven will be like. A harmonious cacophony of adoration. And He listens with joy and understanding.

I'm tired, but it's a good feeling. God is good. God is faithful. And the God of creation is honored by His children in the U.S. and those in Guatemala. How sweet to share time with believers, no matter the location.

Erin Chewning
Ivy Creek Baptist Church





No comments:

Post a Comment