Monday, April 9, 2012

Student Stories - Maddie Halstead

The last night in the dump we did a feeding. Alot of people lined up to get food. I started to hand out bread and I looked behind me and three guys were sitting down on the ground. I kept looking at them to see if they needed more bread and I knew something was wrong. I asked a leader what was wrong and she said they are three of the glue guys. They were high, shaking and could barely walk. One guy would stick out his glass for me to come over and get it to fill up with coffee. I caught myself crying and asking God to protect them. I took a break from giving bread out and watched the guys as I prayed over them silently. It broke me to see them like that and to see one of the guys all three years on the streets high. I asked God why nothing has changed, but then I stopped myself and said wait God has it under control and he is walking along with these guys. It made me very proud of the guys on our team. The way they step up and go to the glue service every year and speak truth into them. I had bread left over and so I went to find the glue guys but couldn't so a leader & I went around the corner and I saw one walking. So I ran up and gave him the bag of extra bread and I gave him a hug. It broke me that night and it made me not want to leave knowing they are high and have no food. But God is challenging me to pray for those guys daily and to trust that God is walking with them.
-Maddie Halstead, Junior at Gainesville High School





No comments:

Post a Comment