Thursday, April 4, 2013

Genuine Love

This morning the team left for Antigua to go to our next big task, the special needs hospital. Not only is this place uncomfortable but it is a HUGE push to get out of our comfort zone. Thankfully The Lord gave me a heart for these people so I was pretty excited. Once we got to the hospital we split up into groups and headed to the areas we felt The Lord was leading us to so of course I go straight for the kids. Once I got to the room I started looking for the kid that God was leading me to. It took a few awkward tries but the I found him, Julio. He was about 6 or 7 years old in a little wheel chair and could not communicate any other word than "baby" which as you could imagine was pretty fun for me. He would laugh as I made funny faces at him and smile the biggest smile whenever I would call him handsome. This went on for a good 10 minutes and then he did something I was not expecting. We were holding hands and then he just let go, put his hand on my shoulder (with a serious face), made eye contact with me, then puts his hand on my face and just smiles the most genuine, loving smile anyone has ever given me. For those who know me or may not the biggest struggle in my life is self confidence and self image. But I tell you I have NEVER felt more beautiful and content with myself than when this little boy just touched my face and smiled. The whole time I thought my job was to go to the hospital and love on the kids expecting nothing in return and what I realized is that they can love back in a way that surpasses anyone I know. They don't ask anything of you but to love them and they will love you 20 times more than that. This is what God asks of us too. I have never experienced God physically until today. I truly believe God was in Julio and used him to show me how beautiful and flawless I am in his eyes. I know now that in order to be content in yourself you have to love expecting nothing in return and that's when God gives you everything you could never imagine and then some.

-Claire Smith


In these photos we also went to Pastor Saul's church Tuesday night. Wednesday was a day of the special needs center as well as our day in Antigua. (No pics were allowed in the special needs center)























No comments:

Post a Comment